How do I refund rent?

Zenya Allen
Zenya Allen
  • Updated

The steps below show how to refund money to a Tenant who has overpaid their rent. This can often happen where there has been a change of Tenancy or when the Tenant has forgotten to cancel their standing order for their rent payment.

Where you refund the money back to the Tenant will depend on whether the overpayment was on the Applicant/Tenant Information or Tenancy Information. In the example below, we use the Tenancy.

This article include: 

Process the refund

  1. Double click Tenancies from the side menu
  2. Search for the relevant Tenancy using Search Text by Name, Code or Status
    1. Alternatively, find the Tenancy using Additional Options from the dropdown menu
    2. Or select a Branch if multi branch is set up on your CFPwinMan
  3. Click Tenancy
  4. Click Refunds
    1. Bank - Ensure you have the correct bank account selected
    2. Date - Edit the date to correspond with the transfer in your online banking
    3. Description - Type a description of the refund
    4. Type - Select Rent from the dropdown menu if the money was receipted against rent
    5. The note at the bottom of the screen will identify how much money there is available
    6. Payment - Select the payment method from the dropdown menu
    7. Refund Account - This will only appear if AutoBanking is selected for the Payment in the step above. Please refer to Refunding by AutoBanking below on where to add their bank details
    8. Amount - Enter the amount of the refund
    9. Send Options - Untick all options, unless you want to send a copy to your Tenants
    10. Click Update
    11. Click Yes to confirm - Do you want to update now
    12. Click Close


Refunding by AutoBanking

If you are refunding using AutoBanking as the Payment type in step 4.6 above, in the Tenancy Information:

  1. Click the Tenancy Details tab
  2. Click the Bank Details tab
  3. Enter the correct bank information
  4. Click the disk icon, Save this record, on the toolbar

In the Applicant/Tenant Information:

  1. Click the References tab
  2. Click the Bank Details tab
  3. Click the Bank Accounts tab
  4. Enter the correct bank information
  5. Click the disk icon, Save this record, on the toolbar

 Did you know...

There is also a troubleshooting article on How to refund rent in CFPwinMan, which you may find useful