How do I manually reverse a receipt?

Zenya Allen
Zenya Allen
  • Updated

The steps below outline how to enter a negative invoice. You may need to do this on a Tenancy if a cheque is returned unpaid, or if a standing order is returned as not processed.

In this example, you can raise a manual receipt reversal to match the debit entry in CFPwinMan with the entry on your bank statement. Adding a manual reversal will also allow you to add more detail to the receipt description as to why this transaction is being reversed.

You also have the option to automatically reverse a receipt.
For more information on How do I automatically reverse a receipt, click here

This article includes: 

Create a negative invoice

Using the information from the details of the invoice you want to credit, complete the following steps:

  1. Double click Tenancies from the side menu
  2. Search for the relevant Tenancy using Search Text by Name, Code or Status
    1. Alternatively, find the Tenancy using Additional Options from the dropdown menu
    2. Or select a Branch if multi branch is set up on your CFPwinMan
  3. Select Tenancy
  4. Click Invoice
    1. Click on a new line and it will default to todays date. You can amend it, if required
    2. Item - Select the same Item from the dropdown menu for which you want to credit, i.e. Rent
    3. Description - Type in a description. This will appear on the landlords statement
    4. Amount - Enter a MINUS amount, i.e. -£100
    5. Per - Single
    6. Send Options - Untick all options unless you want to send a copy to your Tenants
  5. Click Update
  6. Click Yes - Do you want to update now
  7. Click Close

The negative invoice appears in the Tenancy Information, Accounts.


Receipt the negative invoice

  1. Continuing in the same Tenancy Information, click Receipt
    1. Receipt Date - Enter the same date of the invoice you created in the steps above
    2. Receipt Type - Select from the dropdown menu, i.e. Standing Order
    3. Amount Received - Enter a MINUS to the same value of the invoice you created above, i.e. - £100
    4. Press the Tab key on your keyboard
    5. Inc - Will be ticked. If it isn't, tick Inc next to the minus invoice
    6. Send Options - Untick all options unless you want to send a copy to your Tenants
    7. Click Update
    8. Click Close

If you select the Receipt Type as Standing Order, a debit appears on your Bank Reconciliation. This will match the debit on your bank statement, enabling you to reconcile the entry.
For more information on Bank Reconciliation, click here

Raise the original invoice

You can now raise another invoice to replace the original charge, to show that the amount is still outstanding.
For more information on How do I receipt money I have received, click here

 Did you know...

There is also a troubleshooting article on How to reverse a receipt which you may find useful